Both AMD and NVIDIA have introduced new drivers in the last few days. The new drivers have no new features, but instead optimise performance for the latest games, such as Overwatch, Total War: Warhammer, World of Tanks, War Thunder and Dota 2.
For the GeForce 368.22 NVIDIA is mainly focusing on Overwatch, the driver also has an SLI profile for the game. In addition, NVIDIA is now recommending specific graphics cards for certain resolutions, a GeForce GTX 950 is for instance stated as a requirement for at least 1,920 x 1,080 pixels and 60 FPS for Overwatch. For 2,560 x 1,440 pixels and a high graphics settings, a GeForce GTX 970 is necessary, while users who want to play Overwatch in a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels ought to use an GeForce GTX 980 Ti.
AMD is also addressing Overwatch with its Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.3, as wel as Dota 2 and Total War: Warhammer. Crossfire profiles are available for Total War: Warhammer and Overwatch. The driver provides the following additional changes:
- Fallout 4™ may experience minor stuttering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode
- Radeon Settings may be removed from the system if the Radeon Software installer is launched while Radeon Settings is open.
- Radeon Settings "Additional Settings" option may intermittently fail to launch.
- Users in Quad AMD Crossfire technology configurations may be unable to re-enable AMD Crossfire mode when using the global AMD Crossfire option in the "Gaming" tab and toggling it from on to off.
- Some game textures in The Division™ exhibit flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode.
- Intermittent stability issues with Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) using AMD XConnect™ Technology are no longer observed.
- Safe unplugging for AMD XConnect™ Technology no longer results in a random BSOD.
However, AMD also mentions some unresolved problems:
- A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
- Total War: Warhammer™ may experience stuttering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode if the AMD Gaming Evolved App or Plays.Tv is running in the background. A workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved and Plays.Tv applications.
- The Division™ may hang when using Quad AMD Crossfire™ technology. As a workaround users are recommended to disable AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
- Heroes of the Storm™ may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
- The AMD Crossfire™ technology mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
- Forza Motorsport 6: Apex™ may exhibit brightness flickering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology.
- Frame Rate Target Control gaming profiles may fail to enable for some games.
- Catalyst Install Manager unable to detect the display driver while uninstallation.
Owners of Radeon cards can download the Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.3 directly from AMD.