Hardwareluxx > News > Software > Operating Systems > Windows 10 outgrows Windows XP

Windows 10 outgrows Windows XP

PDFPrintE-mail

Created: by
Andreas Stegmüller

Windows 10 LogoBack in October last year, stats from NetApplications indicated Windows 10 had a market share in the single digit range. The newest Windows version had a share of just 8 percent at that time. Just three months later the new Microsoft operating system not only has garnered a double digit share, but has also overtaken the quite old, but quite popular Windows XP.

The latest figures show that Windows 10 is now installed on 11,85 percent of all desktop devices, over three percent more than compared to October last year. The highly popular Windows XP saw its user base fall to 11,42 percent in January. Microsoft is no longer supplying security updates and patches anymore for end users of the old, yet ever popular OS. Windows 7 remains the most widely used operating system by far, with a share of over 52 percent. Successor versions Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are still stable at about 10,4 and 2,7% respectively, remaining flat compared to last year October.

Overall, Microsoft is the undisputed leader in the desktop operating system arena. All Windows versions summed up achieve a market share of 90 percent. The remaining 10 percent are split up between Mac OS X and Linux with around 7,7 and 1,7 percent - other operating systems hardly play a role. Apple's latest offering, i.e. Mac OS X 10:11 El Capitan, nonetheless still has a market share of 3,44 percent, trailed by Mac OS X 10:10 with 2,33 percent. Windows Vista is counted amongst other systems, and doesn't play a major role for Microsoft anymore.

NetApplications analyses traffic from 40,000 sites with more than 160 million monthly visits for its statistics.

netapplications januar16 k
Windows 10 has overtaken Windows XP for the first time.

Our readers, however, are far more eager to remain up to date. Our internal statistics show around 45 percent of Windows users use Windows 7, while already 42 percent of our readers use Windows 10. Windows 8 systems trail behind at around 10 percent.